crispy mortadella salad
Send by mail
- 500g Mortadella San Daniele cut into 1inch x 1inch cubes
- 6 medium sized vine ripe tomatoes quartered
- 1 Mozzarella di Buffula sliced (if you can't find this Bocconcini would work great)
- 20 leaves of basil torn into pieces
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and ground pepper to taste
When I was young my grandmother used to buy the mortadella in little tube form. She would slice it and sear it into little crispy chips. So you can imagine what a surprise it was for me when I was at a fancy Las Vegas restaurant only to see this fabulous mortadella salad on the menu! This is my interpretation of the dish, I simply love it!
In a skillet on high heat add 1 tbsp of olive oil and the cubed mortadella. Sear all sides until it gets a nice golden brown crust. Remove and reserve on a paper towel.
In a large platter arrange the tomatoes, Mozzarella di Buffula, basil and top woth the crispy mortadella. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and drizzle with extra virgin olive oil. Perfect as an appetizer or along side pizza.